Federal Reg Number (FRN)/Paper License

To protect your Social Security Number, and help prevent identity theft, the Federal Communications Commission will issue you a Federal Registration Number. You may apply for a FRN before taking your amateur radio license examination. The number issued to you is good for life and for other FCC licenses. We recommend that you apply for it at least 48 hours before your examination day.

To register for a FRN, your Social Security Number and a password that you make up will be requested.

Let us know the FRN when you pre-register for the exam. Bring the printout of the FRN with you on the day of the exam so we can verify the FRN. Make sure you pre-register, we do not take walk-ins.

Obtain Your FRN (Federal Registration Number) Online

Go to the FCC website, click REGISTER, and follow their instructions.

You will immediately receive your 10 digit FRN number. Be sure to print it out and bring it with you for verification purposes.

The FCC has decided to cease issuing paper amateur licenses. The 'Official Record' of your license is the ULS listing on the FCC site.

Note: If you have a license, you have an FRN. Look it up in the ULS license search. If you don't know your password, click on forgot password and then select a security question. You may need to wait for an email from the FCC with a link to reset the password and select a security question.

Here is the procedure to obtain the 'Official Copy':

The FCC will continue to provide paper license documents to all licensees who notify the Commission that they prefer to receive one. Licensees also will be able to print out an official authorization, as well as an unofficial “reference copy”, from the ULS License Manager.